It would be great if we could never get lost. Whilst we might aimlessly wander off the beaten track we always want to find our way back. Now, I’ve found a way of doing that.
In this modern age everyone seems hooked on their mobile phones. Crikey people would rather read their phones than look at where they are walking! Clearly they are a powerful computer in the palm of your hand.
I dare say that many of you have used the various map applications on your phone but have you realised that they rely on a reliable internet connection? What if you are out in the forest, away from urban life or in a poor signal area. How will you find your way then?
Now I have the answer and it is via an Apple iOS or Android app which you can find in the App Store or from here http://www.avenza.com/pdf-maps
This website will tell you all that you need to know about this fabulous map app plus some great review videos too.
How Avenza Maps makes sure that you will never get lost
The real magic of this application is that rather than relying on a strong and reliable internet connection it actually uses the GPS signal from your phone. Maps are downloaded to your mobile so as long as you have some battery life remaining you will never get lost.
Other great features include:-
- you can pin/record locations on a map for future reference
- calculate distance between locations or measure the size of a location
- various ways to add and store maps including by e-mail and drop box
- quickly and easily find and download maps close to your location
- use the familiar features such as pinch/expand and the flick motion on your maps
- thousands of maps to choose from (some are free, some are paid for at a reasonable price)
The maps application if free for personal and non-commercial use. It is even used by the US Forest Service.
I’ve already downloaded the app to my Android phone and I look forward to being able to say I will never get lost again.
Many thanks to http://www.avenza.com/pdf-maps for telling me about their great product.