I’m going on holiday, yes it is official, I’m taking some time off. It may not sound all that unusual this time of year but this is maybe a little bit different.
If I’m honest I’ve already had my main summer holiday this year. In June my bride and I went to Zurich for a week.
We had a fabulous time plus we saw OneRepublic in concert who were brilliant.
What I mean by telling you I am going on holiday is a little bit different.
The more observant of you may have noticed that I did not publish a blog post last Tuesday. This was not an error nor was I ill. This was a conscious decision.
For more than 2 years I’ve been publishing at least 2 blog posts a week (Tuesday and Friday) 51 weeks a year (exception is Christmas to New Year).
I think this has been a fabulous achievement since I am a hobby blogger and know how time consuming it can be.
I am happily married so have a family life at home, I have a full time job which varies in its demands on my time. I also run a second travel related website. Plus of course I have to find time for some life outside of these factors.
Blogging is hard work, very hard work. There are endless hours lost not just writing and publishing, but also researching too.
For example some articles took me months before I was happy with them to hit publish. Such as:-
Plus there is all the background work that goes on. Site updates, design changes, back ups and restores.
Then there is the endless stream of time draining tasks. Such as responding to e-mails from marketers who ignore the guidelines published on your website. They want you to promote/link to commercial organisations, or their website for free so they can make money off you. Yes people, they want free advertising so they get a free ride on the success of this website. After the thousands of hours I put into building an audience they want an instant line of access to my audience so they can line their pockets with minimum effort or cost.
I’d much prefer that they approach a TV, newspaper or radio network and understand that they have to invest to get a financial reward.
In line with this I am a hobby blogger. I have a real job to pay the bills. Just as well really because there is no way I could pay the bills from the work I put into this website.
However, my point is this. Everything has been culminating into this moment. I’ve become time poor.
I’m overloaded and my ambition is being held back.
I have various projects I am and am wanting to undertake which I just don’t have time for. Yet if I complete them then I will become a better blogger. This means better content on here for you the reader.
Here are some examples of what I am looking to do:-
– I’ve signed up for various online training courses which I’ve yet to complete. Such as how to make better videos, so I can diversify the content on this site
– I want to learn how to use GarageBand (a Mac app) so I can add great sound tracks to my videos without breaching any copyright rules
– I have hundreds of books on my kindle which I want to read related to blogging and connecting more with you readers
– I want to improve my photography skills and improve my photo editing
– In recent times I’ve been spending more time crafting my blog posts. By doing this I can provide higher quality content plus more useful information and facts. This will help me become a more valued resource for you
– I recently acquired some programs which will prove to be useful tools to me, such as Longtail Pro. For those of you who are not bloggers, this is a highly respected program which helps me find out more specifically the words and phrases you use when you are searching online for information. So if I master this program I can answer more of your queries and find new readers.
– I’ve been spending months cleaning up my e-mail inbox yet have a ton of stuff to follow up. I used to be good at replying to e-mails yet now I struggle sometimes to reply in 3-5 days. I’m letting my readers down.
– I’m slower to reply to blog comments. I’m time poor at the moment and may sometimes have less than an hour a day to focus on all my blogging tasks.
– There are many behind the scenes changes I need to make plus administrative work. This is the unseen side of blogging and can consume as much time as writing does.
There are also many more personal projects and work related things which are urgently requiring my time. Some I put on hold over a year ago.
So, after some considerable thought I’ve accepted that my time is limited, I can only do so much in a day, a week, a month.
I don’t have blogger burnout, I just have information and task overload.
So I am taking a holiday. Well a holiday from Flights And Frustration at least. I think it may only be for a month or two, hopefully not longer. I hope to be back in full swing by September. There might even be the odd blog post between then and now too! 🙂
However I can assure you that I will be back. I have an overwhelming passion for this site, connecting with you and writing about my experiences. That passion is as strong as ever. Hence why this was a tough decision.
The timing may not be great. This site is doing better than ever in terms of visitors. It seems to be increasing around 10% a month for at least each of the last 3 months. The volume of messages from visitors is greater than ever and many marketers and brands want to connect with me. However I am very selective and decline most because they are not a good fit. I won’t sell out.
So I hope that as readers you understand.
I’ve built up a backlog of must do items, in my personal and online worlds. The momentum of that “I must do this” thoughts and pressures is now overwhelming. I need to find time to catch up, organise, learn and become better.
I promise you though I will return. Better than ever. Please stay with me as I continue this online journey.
Hasta La Vista.